Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Week #4 Coke Bottle Project Complete!

I'm pretty sure I could keep working on this project FOREVER......

....some things just seem to keep on going, and this is one of them.  I still feel like a lot of the images are too flat and I'm sure that's just because I'm still not confident in what I'm doing, but I've learned a lot of techniques, in this project in particular!  I've incorporated several of them here, my favorite being the transparent text from last weeks project.  I think there's a lot that you can do with that technique.  The bottle image still needs a lot of work in photoshop.  The vector drawings in illustrator weren't so bad once I figured them out from the blackboard recording, but once I got into photoshop it was a whole other story.  Giving the bottle dimension isn't as easy as it looks.  And I know I have a long way to go on that.  The digital smoke can be re-worked as well to get all the right effects and I'm sure I fell a little flat in some areas, but over all I think the coke project turned out fairly well!  I just had to make myself quit so I could move on to the next and final project of this class.  I will consider this an on-going project and keep working on the elements I've been struggling with, though.  Trying to perfect them as best I can, like the condensation dripping down the sides.  I never got that part and it's going to take some practice much like the ice and dry ice, I'm sure.  I will also continue to try and re-work the bottle in photoshop to make it look more 3-dimensional, more realistic.  Once those elements are fine-tuned, as well as the digital smoke....now that I look back at the final project, it looks more like tree branches then dry ice....I think this could become a strong piece.  Any input would be appreciated!


My original piece above and below are my inspiration pieces for the project.




3 comments:

  1. I'm not positive how you went about making the smoke effect but you might consider looking into smoke brushes, there are a lot available on the net and make the effect take only two clicks for a fairly decent effect. For an example of what im talking about

    http://qbrushes.net/photoshop-abstract-brushes/smoke-brushes/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am reluctant to comment because then you will be drawn back into the project again when you should focus on new things. Alex's suggestion about smoke is good, there really are a lot of resources out there. Particularly if it is a paid job you can find stock photos or speciality brush sets for sale.
    The step from Illustrator to Photoshop involves blurring some of your elements and adding more gradations instead of just flat color areas.
    Sorry I didn't get to do a condensation demonstration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's ok. Like I said, I know there is a LOT left I need to do to improve on it and I hope you know I see the same things you all see...frustration set in though I guess yesterday and I just had to quit so I could focus on this last project today. I'm happy with what I've learned and accomplished in Illustrator because I think I am getting more comfortable with it, however I know too I need to take more time once I get it into Photoshop to do more of what you mentioned so it's not so flat. I'm still working on those effects techniques and I guess I see now I may have tackled a too complicated project. The 'smoke' I feel like I was on the right track with it following your instructions in the photoshop recording a couple of weeks ago but I rushed it too much just to put it all together and need to work on it some more too. I'll check out what you all are suggesting. I guess I didn't know that was how I was supposed to do it, I was just following the recording. Anyway, I know it's a work in progress and there is so much I still want to do to it but today I think I need to focus on the final project since it's due tomorrow night. Busy weekend ahead for us again so I am running out of time. Thanks for all your input and I'll try and post more of today's project as soon as I can.

    ReplyDelete