Saturday, May 21, 2011

Week 1 Project Study Second Attempt

















Original
'Don't Tempt Fate' poster

















My second attempt:


In a further study of the 'Don't Tempt Fate' poster, I tried several more intense techniques.  I first did a simple vector drawing of the apple in Illustrator.   I then did another simple vector drawing of the ribbon using techniques I learned layering in a 3D effect and added an outline, then added the word 'Tempt' on top typed along a vector path to follow the pattern of the ribbon shape.  I also typed both the words 'Don't' and 'Fate' in Illustrator, preparing each image for transition to Photoshop.   Once I imported the apple image into Photoshop I started building layers.  One vector outline image layer of the apple in black imported from Illustrator and then made a second copy and changed the color to white, then I enlarged the size of this image just slightly to outline the black outline image of the apple.  Next, I 'painted and shaded' the inside of the apple image in another layer using several shading and highlighting techniques and colors.  This image I copied into a new document and gave it a half-tone effect set at 12 and round dots pattern.  Next I colored yet another layer red using highlights and shading where necessary.  Once all my layers were complete, I layered them accordingly before flattening the image with a transparent background to import into a new Photoshop document.  My sunburst background image I created 2 layers:  one a painting technique using yellows and reds and then a second layer using a half-tone effect to create my sunburst pattern.  I flattened this image before importing it into the document with the apple image.  I then imported one at a time each word:  'Don't' and 'Fate' and followed several 'grunge effect' techniques I learned for the typeface effect shown.  Once each was completed, I copied them into the final document with the other images.  I added a final layer as newsprint and made it the background image before multiplying some of the layers on top to allow some of the newsprint to show through.  I flattened the complete document as one piece to submit for my final product.

4 comments:

  1. Your second version looks great. You would be surprised by how much a high resolution scan of a newspaper put on the top layer and set to overlay would affect everything, try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. just wanted to let you know I used your original version to accompany a haiku poem I wrote on allpoetry.com and gave you full credits, so should get a lot of exposure there. A lot of eyes views the writing, largest poetry site in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and left your blogspot info here how to find you:)..I'm Michael..peace out..gl with it..just loved the art..I'd already written a piece..came across yours doing a search..it fit perfect so I used it but always give credit then saw it was grassroots like me as a writer so I thought I'd reach out and try to help in some way...gl with it all..I'll bookmark your page and stay in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I like somewhere in between one and two..two is TOO BLEACHED OUT...one is too clouded by crap in the words..but color wise overall somewhere in between those extremes is perfect.

    ReplyDelete